Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Anything but a teacher!


From the Star
Like many 18 year olds going off to college, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was still thinking about how exciting it was with no adults and no rules. Little did I know that I would soon be making decisions that would change my life and would effect who I am today. I can still remember my University Experiences class where we were told to choose what we wanted to be. I had so many choices and so many dreams about what I wanted to be when I graduated. It was so exciting to dream about my future and its possibilities. I thought maybe I'd like to be a bakery chef or an interior designer. I called my mother who is also my "best friend" - my BFF - and she pointed out that my choices might not be too logical. After all, I wasn't a very good cook and I couldn't even keep my own room clean!

As my mother started talking about why she became a teacher and how much pride she took in her job, I thought that maybe I might like to be a teacher. I like to help people. I am very talkative. I am very friendly. I decided that maybe being a teacher wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. I mean I really liked helping in my mom's classroom when I was in elementary school. I decide to try a few education courses and realized that this was definitely what I wanted to be. I felt at home. I loved it!

My Mom still kids me about that Phonics class. I really did think it was torture and I really didn't think I was ever going to use it. I was taking 17 hours at the time and the workload for that one class was like I was only taking that class! Little did I know at the time that that class would be the basis of my teaching career. I guess my mom was right (she usually is, but I just don't like to admit it!) The course turned out to be a great experience, even after all my tears, headaches and whining. By the end of the semester I understood phonics and how important it is to reading.

When I graduated I knew that I had learned so much but I also knew there was so much more to learn. I was not only excited but I was ready to take on the task of following in my mother's footsteps. I finally understood what she meant when she said she just "wanted to make a difference."

No comments:

Post a Comment