Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Here we go again!

From the Star...

So... I got through my first week of planning before the students came and now they are back!!! I am so excited!!! I just know that my class this year is going to be amazing and the team I am on has been so helpful already.



Last week on Wednesday we had our annual "meet the teacher" day and all but two of my parents showed up. I thought was super impressive considering only half of my parents showed up last year. Also, I had 9 parents sign up for volunteering which is amazing. All I can say is I'm really starting to like this third grade things. The parents are so hopeful. I wish I could keep these kids all year for all subjects. But, like every perfect dream, it has to change somewhere and that somewhere continues where it left off last year with the multi-aged reading and writing. As every one knows there are pros and cons to this configuration. It's just knowing when and how to use those pros to promote the most learning gains and successes for the students. Oh yes, you heard me correctly - learning gains! That is the word that stole the day with the Principal and the Assistant Principal on Thursday during our meeting because learning gains were the reason that we did not keep our "A" this year.

So... now that we know what we talked about all day on Thursday and yes, most of Friday too! finally after all the planning it was time for the first day back. All I can say is "WOW." I mean my kids are great- so polite and well mannered, and such great listeners. I know, I know - it's only the beginning of the year and those 5th graders haven't made it to the classroom yet to corrupt my little ones! HEHE!! Just kidding! It's just that the fifth graders have a very interesting way of influencing the third graders. For now I am super excited and ready to begin my journey. Who could have thought being in intermediate would actually be more enjoyable than stressful. Not to say that I didn't have a great year last year and a lot of fun, but this year has started off so much calmer and relaxing. As I have reflected on why I feel differently, I have decided that 1) I'm more experienced and prepared this year and actually have some clue of what I am doing and what to expect, 2) I have a 3rd grade homeroom and they have not got a chance to mingle with the 4th and 5th graders in their learning environments yet, or 3) I only have 14 students. How amazing is that? Well as always I will keep you informed and updated on my progress and learning as a teacher and with all of the new adventures that I am going to face as I continue my journey on understanding the intermediate world.

No comments:

Post a Comment