Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Dream Gift

From the Star
As you may remember, I have preciously blogged about my struggles as a reader and my mother's bribe of the American Girl Molly doll. All I ever wanted was the Molly doll and all I had to do to get it was to read the Molly book series. I didn't get through the series. I didn't even get through one chapter of one book! My mother always keeps her word so I never did get that Molly doll.

Growing up I don't think that my mother ever truly saw me as a struggling reader - more as a lazy reader. I don't blame her at all because I had wonderful, inspiring teachers, especially in elementary school who certainly tried to inspire me to read. I think because I grew up as a teacher's child, other professionals seemed to think that I must be able to read and write because I had teacher parents. When I struggled, my teachers didn't want to talk about it. They just seemed to look over my flaws and to think I would just miraculously become a good reader. I think that most of my difficulties in reading came from a lack of the knowledge - things we now know about reading. Educators simply did not have the knowledge or the resources to teach skills or the strategies that they do today. Today I think we know how to give students the skills and strategies they need to become better readers.

With all of this being said, I want to share about the dream gift that I received this year for Christmas. We were all sitting around and my mother started to talk about how proud she is of me and what a great young woman I have become. There were plenty of tears on both sides. She mentioned how proud she was of me for overcoming my reading struggles by sticking to the work even when things were difficult. Then she pulls out a box that is wrapped with a beautiful bow. As I pull off the paper, I couldn't believe what was inside! It was my very own Molly doll! I guess good things do come to those who wait. While I never did read the Molly series that doll stands with me at school each day to remind me of how I struggled to become a reader. I am using my experiences to help my students overcome their struggles. I want each of them to become successful, confident learners. After all, I am a living example that anything is possible if you don't give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment